People began worshipping in a log house on a hill.
The church’s first affiliation was with the Methodist Episcopal Church South, until reunification of three Methodist denominations in 1939.
On shipping materials to this area before the railroad and the depot were built, a loading and unloading point was designated as “near the church on the hill”, giving Church Hill its name. The area was previously known as Hamilton for a doctor who had bought the land from the Cherokee Indians.
Ellen P. Davis donated land for a church, school and Masonic Hall.
A second church was built. It was of frame construction and built following a great revival in which many were converted.
A third church was built. This was also a frame building and was built because the foundation of the previous building had given way.
The Women’s Missionary Society originated with monthly meetings at the church. It was organized by Mrs. James W. Dobyns who rode side saddle from Rotherwood in Kingsport to the meetings.
The railroad cut across the private drive to the church and a new road was opened on church land from North Central Avenue.
In its earliest days, this church was on a circuit known as the Holston Region. It included much of the Nolichucky and French Broad Valleys as well as the Holston Valley. Parts of the region were Western North Carolina and Southwest Virginia. Later, the North Carolina area and part of the Virginia area were placed on other circuits with much of upper East Tennessee section renamed the Church Hill circuit with eleven churches. The circuit was later reduced to nine and to seven by 1914.
The church circuit bought a parsonage that the Church Hill church rented and later bought in 1948. This is the white house on the corner of Main St. at the traffic light.
The Women’s Missionary Society became the Women’s Society of Christian Service when three Methodist denominations merged.
The community became the setting for The Reverend Spy WWII novel written by David P. Denton, pastor of the church for 8 months.
The fourth church building was built and became the first brick building on the site. The church became a station church with Rev. John H. Meyers as its first pastor.
The church’s dedication service was held.
The Susanna Wesley Circle and Mary B.Hamilton Circle were organized.
The fourth parsonage was built on South Central Avenue on land donated by Dr. and Mrs. Warner Clark. Rev. C.Walter Martin and family were its first residents.
Church Hill became a municipality. The City seal includes a log church in its center.
The Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church, becoming the United Methodist Church.
The fifth church sanctuary was completed and its first worship service held on July 1.
The Women’s Society of Christian Service became the United Methodist Women (UMW.)
The 1948 sanctuary was converted into the fellowship hall; an adjoining classroom was remodeled into a kitchen and the basement classrooms were redecorated.
The new church was consecrated with Bishop L. Scott Allen presiding, assisted by the pastor Rev. W. B. Thomas, and two former pastors, Dr. Roy C. Davis and Rev. Stanley Harrison.
The Methodist Men’s Club was chartered.
Dedication of the sanctuary steeple, a gift of Marie Smith in memory of her husband, Bert Smith.
Dedication service for the sanctuary.
Hand bells were donated in memory of Jesse C. and Grace Alley by their children.
The Mary Evans Circle was formed in honor of deceased church member.
Members purchased 150 new Methodist Hymnals.
The original bell and belfry of the old log church was moved to a bell tower built by Deborah Collins in memory of her father.
Neighboring property adjoining the parking lot was purchased. A picnic area with playground was later developed.
A church preschool was organized for ages three and four.
The Susanna Wesley Circle, under the leadership of Margaret Davidson, established the Community Clothes Closet. People from other denominations joined in support. It was later incorporated and has provided over $1 Million in financial assistance to many needs in the area.
Consecration of new picnic pavilion, a project of the United Methodist Women.
Rev. Harry Hight exchanged pastorates for three months with Rev. Geoffrey Bell from Berkshire, England.
Presentation of stained glass in the chancel, a gift of Jean Young in memory of her mother, Ruth Britton.
Presentation of the sanctuary’s stained glass windows, donated by members in honor or memory of loved ones.
The position of Parish Nurse was added to the staff.
The Keenagers was formed for age 50 and older.
Church Hill First UMC and Wellmont Health Systems sponsored the community’s first Children’s Health Fair.
Pack 286 Cub Scouts were chartered by the church.
A Prayer Garden was designed and installed by Clayton Stanley as an Eagle Scout project.
The Youth represented the Kingsport District with a performance at Resurrection in Gatlinburg.
A new church sign was dedicated.
The Youth participated in a mission trip to Chattanooga.
The church was recognized by the Kingsport District for its continued commitment to Evangelism and 5-star missions.
The church Mission Statement was updated.
Year-long celebration of the church’s 175th anniversary.